More
 


20 dead after suicide bomber targets Supreme Court in Afghan capital

Around 20 people were killed and dozens others were injured on Tuesday after a suicide bomber blew up himself outside the Supreme Court in Kabul center, official sources reported, in one of the latest deadly attacks on the judiciary.

  • Date: 2017/02/07
  • Time: 22:11
  • News Code: 36588
  • View: 685
  • Print
20 dead after suicide bomber targets Supreme Court in Afghan capital

Afghan security forces keep watch at the scene of a bomb blast outside Supreme Court in Kabul (February 7, 2017)

VON PRESS Asia & Pacific: The Ministry of Public Health said at least 20 people were killed, while 41 wounded were taken to Kabul hospitals.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, in which police said an apparent suicide bomber targeted Supreme Court employees leaving their offices at the end of the working day.

"When I heard a bang I rushed toward the Supreme Court's parking lot to find my brother who works there," said witness Dad Khuda, adding that he had found his brother alive.

The bomber appeared to have entered an area where guards were performing security checks when he detonated the explosives.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack as a "crime against humanity and an unforgivable act."

The Supreme Court was the target of a bomb in June, 2013, when a suicide bomber drove an explosives-packed car into a bus carrying court employees, including judges.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for that attack, and since then security near the court has been increased with large concrete blast walls.

In 2015 a Taliban bomber killed five prosecutors from the Attorney General's office in Kabul, and last year Taliban gunmen stormed a legal office in Logar province, killing seven people, including two prosecutors.

The same militant group killed four people at a provincial courthouse in Ghazni in 2016.

Afghan government forces control no more than two-thirds of national territory, and have struggled to contain the insurgency since the bulk of NATO soldiers withdrew at the end of 2014.

Several thousand foreign troops, most of them Americans, remain in training and counter-terrorism roles.


No comment for this news
Your comment
Name :
Email : 
*Comments :
Captcha:
 

Close




×

You have read 0 of 5 free articles